Thursday, July 1, 2010

a leer

The name Paramo is a very unique last name, at least for me. I have never heard of "Paramo's" like you hear of "Martinez", "Garcias", "Smiths", "Jones", among many common surnames. That is why when I heard there was a book out there in the literary world titled "PedroParamo", I became instantly interested. You see I am a Paramo, because of my mom's family. A hard working, very religious, traditional family from Nayarit Mexico. I read the book in english and finished it, it confused me with the back and forth of time changing to the past, the present, the future.
I am succumbing to the advise of my younger brother Elias, (Nacho) to give Pedro Paramo another shot. I started re reading it in spanish last night and I must say it is pretty dang intriguing. It's as if I am hearing my grandparents talk. The story so far reminds me of the infamous don Magdaleno, aka, who should have been my father. The old days of Mexico. There is a line in there from the mother of the main character (who is the son of Pedro Paramo) just before she died, she made her son promise her that he would go search for his father and..."Demand from him that which is ours, that which he was supposed to give to me and never did, make him pay big for abandoning us" (that's my translation, when I find my english copy I will write the proper translation). That kind of demand would be possible in today's times in the U.S. not so much in Mexico, no such thing as "child support" back then in Mexico, and I would even go on a limb and say that even now. I am going to read this skinny book in less than a week. It's smooth reading in spanish.

Don Juan Rulfo quien escribio "Pedro Paramo"

No comments: