Monday, September 8, 2008

ROOTS

For the first time I watched the series ROOTS, the family history of Mr. Alex Haley, I was so intrigued from the very first scene 'til the last second of the movie that I watched the extra video titled: "Roots, a year later"; and the DVD extra features. It was a powerful piece of film. Everyone must watch it and learn the past so that it will not happen again, to no one in no place of the world. Of course I was enfuriated by the horrible way Mr. Haley's ancestors were treated and hundreds of thousands others. However, more than that, I was moved to want to know where I come from. In the extras, they mentioned the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, the church had an enormous demand from people everywhere wanting to research their ancestors, that is sooooo wonderful!
Sadly, where I come from, records were not kept properly. For example, the exact date of my birth is not correct on my birth certificate. I am not sure if I was born in Zapopan, Nuevo Mexico, or Guadalajara, all I know is that I was born in Jalisco, Mexico. My mother's name is Irene Paramo, she is a powerful woman, so tough and hard working, she could outwork any man! I have 9 siblings living and for sure I know of one beautiful young boy who past away when he was 10 or 11 years old, I dont remember him, at that time I was 1 or 2 years old. The story of his death is worthy of a book.
This is a picture of Magdaleno Castro Castro, he was my father, I hardly knew him. Appearently he was the president of a small town in Jalisco named San Cristobal de la Barranca, from 1950-1952! He was not a young chicken when I was born, perhaps, therein falls the reason why I am so wise, yeah, maybe the other way around!
Later I will post a photo of my late brother Magdaleno Castro, (I guess he would be a Jr. if he were alive).
That is a little bit of my family history, I am really going to get to work to find out more about our family, I really believe that knowing where you come from will strengthen the way we see our future.

1 comment:

Nicole said...

Good show, it has been so long.